Return of Clu37/kombat2

Welcome to NSMBX! If you're new, you may introduce yourself here. If you're not new and returning after a long absence, by all means post here as well.

Return of Clu37/kombat2

PostPosted by Evis » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:42 pm

I have been gone for some time. I last remember being here right before the forums went down when the whole thing with Cloud's and Knux's forums were in a hectic time or something. I never was the best at anything around the forums but I plan on becoming quite better. I hope I will meet some of the faces I met back in the days and hopefully I can create the next big SMBX craze. Also, I plan on making video games in the future, and once I have enough experience, SMBX will return with a new creator, me. I will revive this game one day, and bring it to its former glory and more. Or at least I hope, and I will have others who will help me of course, because I cant do it alone. either way, nice to meet all of you.
SMBX's return is imminent.

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO7kd6 ... qlwj-yOo6g
Evis
Ninji
Ninji

Current Project: None

Re: Return of Clu37/kombat2

PostPosted by Imaynotbehere4long » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Evis wrote:hopefully I can create the next big SMBX craze...and once I have enough experience, SMBX will return with a new creator, me. I will revive this game one day, and bring it to its former glory and more.

Sorry, Horikawa Otane and a few other Talkhaus members beat you to it, as I'm sure you saw me mention in Turnip the Boo's thread: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 69&t=12547

Basically, someone managed to add Lua functionality to SMBX, which means people can code pretty much anything they want to in it, completely negating the need for anything in the base engine to be updated since people can just code their own updates. Once something reaches that point, there really isn't much else that can be done to improve it, as evidenced by the ill-fated "SMBX 1.4.1"

Anyway, welcome back. Like I told Turnip the Boo, you might want to go to http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/index.php since that forum is by far the most active SMBX forum, and this one is basically just a backup for when that forum goes down.
Would you like to become part of the longest, most innovative and most ambitious project in SMBX history? Then follow
Image!

If not, at least play the Sonic 3D Blast styled level, then let me know what you think.

I also made this Mode 7 tech demo for SMBX; check it out: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =31&t=1302

Join my NSMBX collaboration project:
Imaynotbehere4long
Tweeter
Tweeter

PostPosted by Evis » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:45 pm

I meant to say I will bring it up to a new level of complete one day, but they are on to something regardless. I'm gonna stay here and give this forum some kind of life, I spent the majority of my SMBX days here and I've got a kind of loyalty to it, ya know?

Evis
Ninji
Ninji

PostPosted by Imaynotbehere4long » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:04 am

Evis wrote:I meant to say I will bring it up to a new level of complete one day, but they are on to something regardless.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, but what I meant is that unless your new SMBX has less bugs, less serious bugs, the same and more features, and a more powerful coding extension, people will just treat it as a novelty before going back to LunaLua and forgetting about it (e.g. SMBX 1.4.1). It has to be objectively and unequivocally better if you want to maintain any attention you attract.

Evis wrote:I'm gonna stay here and give this forum some kind of life, I spent the majority of my SMBX days here and I've got a kind of loyalty to it, ya know?

Kinda, but you can still check out both forums, especially since so few are active here (often or at all). It would at least be a good idea to cross-post any levels you decide to make so that they reach a wider audience and you get more feedback from different people.
Would you like to become part of the longest, most innovative and most ambitious project in SMBX history? Then follow
Image!

If not, at least play the Sonic 3D Blast styled level, then let me know what you think.

I also made this Mode 7 tech demo for SMBX; check it out: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =31&t=1302

Imaynotbehere4long
Tweeter
Tweeter

PostPosted by Evis » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, but what I meant is that unless your new SMBX has less bugs, less serious bugs, the same and more features, and a more powerful coding extension, people will just treat it as a novelty before going back to LunaLua and forgetting about it (e.g. SMBX 1.4.1). It has to be objectively and unequivocally better if you want to maintain any attention you attract.

That's precisely what I mean. Compare it to Super Mario Maker, with different play styles based on the Game Style you choose (SMB, SMB3, SMW, NSMBU (Obviously this won't be addable but you know what I mean.)) special features exclusive to it (Using mushrooms on Enemies to make them giant, Buzzy Beetle shell helmets, Spiny helmets, etc.), and way more. I mean a literal, New Super Mario Bros. X.

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Kinda, but you can still check out both forums, especially since so few are active here (often or at all). It would at least be a good idea to cross-post any levels you decide to make so that they reach a wider audience and you get more feedback from different people.

Maybe, but for now I'm keeping it here.

Evis
Ninji
Ninji

PostPosted by Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 am

Evis wrote:That's precisely what I mean. Compare it to Super Mario Maker, with different play styles based on the Game Style you choose (SMB, SMB3, SMW, NSMBU (Obviously this won't be addable but you know what I mean.)) special features exclusive to it (Using mushrooms on Enemies to make them giant, Buzzy Beetle shell helmets, Spiny helmets, etc.), and way more. I mean a literal, New Super Mario Bros. X.

The problem is that somebody could just code that in Lua. That's the main reason nobody stuck with SMBX 1.4.1: it had new power-ups and features, but nobody cared because said power-ups and features could be replicated in Lua, and that's what I've been trying to say this whole time. Lua can do quite a lot of things since it's basically a programming language; you'd have to have something that Lua absolutely could not replicate (along with backwards compatibility with Lua levels) in order to maintain attention, and even then, it would be an uphill battle to get everyone to switch. In fact, I'm going to pitch the features you mentioned to the Lua people and see if I get a response that isn't "code it yourself you lazy bum."

EDIT: literally the next post:
HenryRichard wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:I was wondering if anyone has coded Mario-Maker-exclusive features yet, specifically using mushrooms on enemies to make them giant, Buzzy Beetle shell helmets, and Spiny helmets, or if it would even be possible to do so (and if so, how).

Funny, I'm working on an API to add helmets. Mushrooms making enemies giant would be pretty easy, I'd suggest looking at the example here and see if you can turn it into a thing that makes goombas bigger when they touch mushrooms.

By the way, Lua can modify player physics, so that "different play styles based on the Game Style" is totally possible (but only on a per level/episode basis, admittedly). Also, if I remember correctly, you can change the sprite-swap of a player character mid-level now, so you can have the different Mario styles (with their own individual play styles) in one level without messing with Luigi or the other player characters.
Image!

Imaynotbehere4long
Tweeter
Tweeter

PostPosted by Evis » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:11 pm

I'll just show you what I mean when the time comes I suppose.

Evis
Ninji
Ninji

PostPosted by Pseudo-dino » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi! Good to have another person here! Like Imaynotbehere4long said, we don't have much activity nowadays, but it's still good to have you here!
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
I think Frozen is a pretty cool guy. Eh mkaes ice and doesnt afraid of anything.
Redigit is cool.
I believe in Princess Luna as my Lady and Savior. If you do as well, put this in your signature.
Pseudo-dino
Blooper
Blooper

PostPosted by Evis » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Thank you, and hopefully I can bring some life back to this place, it used to be the best of the SMBX forums in my opinion.

Evis
Ninji
Ninji

PostPosted by TheDinoKing432 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:45 pm

TheDinoKing432
Red Koopa
Red Koopa

Next