NSMBX Activity

Come here for all updates involving the forum.
Click here for the forum rules.

NSMBX Activity

PostPosted by Magician » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:41 am

UPDATE: As can be seen, both official episodes are up!
Links below:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

These images can also be shared in your signatures with this code:
Code: Select all
[img]http://i.imgur.com/3CuGFvh.png[/img]
[url=http://nsmbxforums.prophpbb.com/topic5992.html][img]http://i.imgur.com/LQSrrRA.png[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/G0ATYdN.gif[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/e2fbpcw.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://nsmbxforums.prophpbb.com/topic5991.html][img]http://i.imgur.com/Jlk3rhI.png[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/G0ATYdN.gif[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/O4fwJM1.png[/img][/url]

Original post:

So, it's a given that there has been a lack of activity here.
All in all I'm content to let this forum die so long as people are happy to continue posting at SMBX.org. However for those who still don't feel as welcome there, I would like this place to be more generally inviting, in the sense that it has... well, people, and an actual purpose.

That being said, in an attempt to incentivize posting and discussing levels in this forum, we're aiming to bring back Level of the Month (intending for a monthly basis but I might just rename this to "Featured Level" if that doesn't work out), but instead of using level judges we aim to simplify the process by making it more outright democratic, with all of the pluses and minuses that come with that. What this means is that each month, people vote, campaign for votes, and engage in a discussion about which level deserves the vote, rather than have only judges do so.
PROS:
- For the past little while, in an attempt to determine how we could make LOTM work differently, we've been specifically trying to quantify objective qualities in a level to create a procedural means to assess whether or not a level should be featured. This has been overcomplicated, more work than its worth, and despite the effort is bound to be subject to disagreement no matter how it turns out. Having a grassroots approach has the benefit of being simpler and potentially more effective.
- Any registered user can vote, thus can participate.
- The level that is voted in will be a level that the majority of people who directly participate in the voting process feel deserves to be featured.
- Those unhappy that a level was featured over another need only wait through another voting process for their level to get another chance at the win. (Meaning every deserving level not featured previously would still have a chance at getting it.)

CONS:
- The majority will not always choose, by some veteran's standards, the best level. I can understand why some would dislike this process because of that. It seems to me, however, that bias would still remain in question supposing that judges were handpicked for the process of choosing the level. Since bias is an operator in this argument regardless, simply serving the majority opinion will minimalize the concern. Regardless, people will be free to attempt to showcase their level and convince the majority to vote for their level, and I aim to facilitate this.
- Popular users might receive all of the featured levels. If this becomes an issue we can put limits on that. Ideally my aim to circumvent this would be to assist users not only on how to create levels that people would enjoy, but also showcase them in a way that people would want to play them. This would be a better route than punishing popular users for their popularity (especially in the case that their levels are popular because they're so well-made).
- The voting process can be abused. I'm aiming to work around this in various ways, by being very strict about which votes are collected and which are not. This doesn't mean that a vote will be nulled on the grounds of a lack of merit. I simply mean that, though you can change your vote, there will be a strict deadline and any votes past the deadline will be nulled. Any votes edited or changed after the deadline will be nulled. Things like that.

I welcome people to offer their opinions on this change before we go through with it.

With that aside:
With Super Mario Bros. & the Star Sanctuary being on an indefinite hiatus, there is an opening of new potential for NSMBX Community Episodes. If you have a strong interest in working on a community episode or project of any kind, and also have a good idea for one that will gather interest, by all means PM me and apply. I am considering an interview process where you may be offered a position to direct a project of your creation on this forum, and granted the means to do so with this forum as your project's host. Keep in mind that these projects are difficult to make work and that you will need to be good at communication, open to criticism, be good at providing criticism yourself, and have very flexible expectations to ensure that your ideas will work in execution.
On top of that, visit this thread to see my idea on a potential community project that would change fluidly, based around the content submitted for it.

Thanks for reading.

TL;DRs:
- Level of the Month may return in some form, without the use of level judges and with more of democratic approach instead.
- The Star Sanctuary is a thing that is not going to be continuing for a long time, if ever. To counter this, we're considering offering this forum as a partial host for a community project, though it has to be a good one!
- See bolded text above. It's only one sentence and I didn't want to copy/paste it.
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: NSMBX Activity

PostPosted by castlewars » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:28 am

The thing is with LotM is that we need to bring the Level Judges back. When this forum re-opened there weren't any Level Judges after the group got deleted due to lack of activity. In order to actually nominate levels for LotM we need to bring the group back.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

THE GREAT CASTLE ADVENTURE (REMAKE!)

Give this link a click to go to my NEW YouTube channel! Subscribe if you want!

Using custom graphics doesn't mean your level becomes "good". It's about how you use them.

Join http://smbediting.prophpbb.com if you haven't done so!
castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

Current Project: The Great Castle Adventure REMAKE!

PostPosted by Magician » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:11 pm

"Need"? No, we don't need.
If we operate the LOTM in a way that requires level judges, then yes level judges are needed. However what I'm optioning is a change to that system so that any user can nominate a level (excepting their own).
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

PostPosted by Cloud » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Knux is having the same problem with his and I'm having the same problem with mine. It's not like it's just you guys - Joey's forum is stealing activity from everyone IMO. I made lots of comic episodes, tried to do contests, advertise, and even put money into the forum, but it didn't work. None of it did.

I just want to let you guys know it might not be easy to restore activity. If all of us as SMBX forums try to regain activity, it's not going to go well. We won't all be happy with the results. (merge?)
Cloud
Tweeter
Tweeter

PostPosted by Magician » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:34 pm

Okay well, I didn't say it would be easy. I also don't expect to have nearly as much activity regardless. That's not even the point.
I want this place to be fun for the people who do attend. For me, that means a modicum of effort more than has been shown if I can create a space where users will willingly engage in more collaborative efforts.

They're not "stealing" activity; people are just going there. I could name the reasons any person would choose that site over any other site with free third party hosting. Not really the point of the topic though.
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

PostPosted by Pseudo-dino » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:38 am

I support anything that will give this forum activity again if you think it'll work, Magician. Sorry I didn't see this before now, but you definitely have my support and I'll help any way I can. I haven't been checking these forums a lot recently, unfortunately.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
I think Frozen is a pretty cool guy. Eh mkaes ice and doesnt afraid of anything.
Redigit is cool.
I believe in Princess Luna as my Lady and Savior. If you do as well, put this in your signature.
Pseudo-dino
Blooper
Blooper

PostPosted by AquaAdminShelly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:53 am

Cloud wrote:Knux is having the same problem with his

I dunno why, maybe bc he makes himself look kinda dumb with his latest post.
<m4sterbr0s>But yeah, some people on the forums need to mature more.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

SPOILER:

SPOILER:
AquaAdminShelly
Lantern Ghost
Lantern Ghost

Current Project: Los Garitos

PostPosted by krazykat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:33 pm

It's exam season, when activity drops everywhere because people are busy with exams.
krazykat
Super Koopa
Super Koopa

PostPosted by Zeldamaster12 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 am

There has to be something to attract people here. Maybe a contest? Some sort of community event?
nothin but smbx and smf
Zeldamaster12
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

PostPosted by AquaAdminShelly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 am

Regarding a community episode, i would offer myself to lead it since Natsu is gone and Mystogan hasn't been anywhere at all. Theres a lot we can do plus we got some stuff here also.

PM has been sent.
<m4sterbr0s>But yeah, some people on the forums need to mature more.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

SPOILER:

SPOILER:
AquaAdminShelly
Lantern Ghost
Lantern Ghost

Current Project: Los Garitos

Next

Return to Announcements