[IDEA] The NSMBX ... Episode?

This forum is for any SMBX-related ideas or works in development, including and not limited to in-progress episodes.

[IDEA] The NSMBX ... Episode?

PostPosted by Magician » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:44 am

This is not an announcement currently. I have no proof of concept or current plans. However, this is an idea that I've been thinking about for a while, and I've been self-doubting about it. Let's just put it on the table. This is something intended to be for the community, by the community, and whether or not it succeeds is through whether or not people agree it would be fun to participate.

That being said: What do you guys think about an experimental community SMBX project? Where, come what may, you create content specifically for the project, submit it, and I (and perhaps a couple of other people) sort out what can be made from it?
For example if there's not a lot of content, it could be a gallery of submissions. If there's a lot of levels, it could be a mini episode. If there's a lot of graphics/tilesets, it could be a mash-up level. If there's a lot of everything, it could be a full episode with side content or, what's probably more likely, a "gallery" that just happens to contain a "campaign" in it of sorts.

I mean we can't update SMBX, but we can create an update-able NSMBX episode, full of creative ideas conceived entirely by our motley band of ... individuals.
What's cool about it is that since it's an ongoing thing to which anyone can contribute anything they feel like, we'd all have a stake in it, not just a selected few designers, and not with a specific directed process—at least, not until enough contributed assets are laid out. Since we'd all have a stake in it, we'd get to watch it flourish into something concrete as time goes by, and more and more submissions are made. And there's no deadline. You don't have to skip on being a part of it just because you don't feel like contributing something within a time frame. Do it later and it'll be incorporated somehow into a later update.

What that last part would imply is that this isn't just some cut and dry episode where it's a game with specific objectives. It's might far more likely become more of an episode containing galleries of levels, atmospheric environments, joke levels, easter eggs, a house of NSMBX-user credits, and THEN a campaign with an objective might be added into the episode when/if it comes to that.

When I say you can submit anything, I mean pretty much anything you haven't previously posted on the internet since it would be a unique submission intended specifically for this episode. This is within reason. You obviously can't submit something like a level that crashes SMBX or puts the player in a death loop or anything like that. On the other hand, other than examples of what I just mentioned, there won't be any standards for whether or not a level will be accepted. Standards will instead determine where your level goes; whether your submitted level will become part of a campaign, or whether it will be hidden content, or just a level that the player can find in a gallery or a house.
This could mean that your content will be subjected to editing to various (most likely very limited) degrees, depending on what it's chosen for.

You won't have to only submit levels. You could submit graphics, or design hub areas, or share gameplay concepts, or art concepts, or beta observations, or technical advice. (inb4 someone submits a single black pixel. Har har. Yes, I'm making that kind of joke so you won't have to.) You could also submit an avatar of yourself in sprite form to go into the episode, to match a face or a kind of signature to your credited submissions.

The ultimate goal for this is that even people who would consider themselves normally incapable of creating an episode or even submitting much of anything to NSMBX, would now have an opportunity to be a part of a project, even if just in some small way. Thus, it's an idea worth sharing. Is it an idea worth doing?
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: [IDEA] The NSMBX ... Episode?

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:41 am

^
I like it from start to end, and I can see it being completely of the userbase's liking, overall because it does not have limitations like Star Sanctuary. I fully support it.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.

PostPosted by Dragonfan96 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:58 pm

Now that sounds like fun :) i would love to Participate and Submit a few levels.

Is there a Plot made or any kinda of themes throughout the Episode?
Soaring to Success" :D ~Dragonfan96

These GFX's are awesome!Check them out some time!

Episodes i've created:
Image<---Artwork made by Squishy Rex
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=4582
Dragonfan96
Ninji
Ninji

PostPosted by AirSheep » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:03 am

It is a very good idea, I never approved the concept of pre-selected level designer on a project "public," if the idea move forward, can count on my levels and graphic for this.
AirSheep
Spiny
Spiny

Current Project: Super Mario Magical Paintings

PostPosted by midone » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:17 pm

You can count me in, that's for sure.
midone
Goomba
Goomba

PostPosted by Magician » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Dragonfan96 wrote:Now that sounds like fun :) i would love to Participate and Submit a few levels.

Well it depends on what content goes into it, but if anything there would be a motif of ongoing continuity and expansion.

As for plot, one of my original campaign ideas is a pretty simple one: Hackers invade the NSMBX "guild", trapping players into their own level creations. The player, known in the game as the "New User", or perhaps more inclusive, the "Unknown User" ends up being the one to stop them. There could be things like that, and other various events.

Bear in mind, though, that "plot" is not a first priority for an episode like this since there needs to be enough content to justify one first.
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

PostPosted by FanofSMBX » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:28 pm

I like this idea and could contribute
Jesus is my Savior

Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000:

http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
FanofSMBX
Blooper
Blooper

PostPosted by krazykat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:53 pm

I like this idea alot tbh. Give me a reason to use SMBX :P
krazykat
Super Koopa
Super Koopa

PostPosted by Dragonfan96 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Magician wrote:
Dragonfan96 wrote:Now that sounds like fun :) i would love to Participate and Submit a few levels.

Well it depends on what content goes into it, but if anything there would be a motif of ongoing continuity and expansion.

As for plot, one of my original campaign ideas is a pretty simple one: Hackers invade the NSMBX "guild", trapping players into their own level creations. The player, known in the game as the "New User", or perhaps more inclusive, the "Unknown User" ends up being the one to stop them. There could be things like that, and other various events.

Bear in mind, though, that "plot" is not a first priority for an episode like this since there needs to be enough content to justify one first.

I think i seen a few levels that use Matrix Backgrounds and enemies? They could make great World Castle levels...
Hacked... Sounds like i need to play Watch_Dogs again <lol>

Maybe it could "link" the Tower of Bias Series as to how/why there biased?
Soaring to Success" :D ~Dragonfan96

These GFX's are awesome!Check them out some time!

Episodes i've created:
Image<---Artwork made by Squishy Rex
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=4582
Dragonfan96
Ninji
Ninji

Return to Projects & Works in Progress