Exploration Levels

Post your levels in progress here! Completed levels will get sorted out. Levels completed prior to posting can be placed immediately in the subforum pertaining to their gameplay.
This forum is also for general discussions about level design.

Exploration Levels

PostPosted by Captain Eggcellence » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:15 pm

I need some tips on creating exploration levels.
Last edited by SuperMario7 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to the "Levels" Forum because it pertains to general discussion about level design.
Captain Eggcellence
Ninji
Ninji

Re: Exploration Levels

PostPosted by Natsu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:52 am

Make multiple pathways leading to different places where the player gets to earn something for his curiosity. That's the main purpose of exploration levels, to make the player feel comfort for exploring a certain place where he might get something as a reward. Sometimes said paths could be hidden and only available after doing something, like some blocks that are only destroyed with the Hammer Brothers Power-Up. You could also add a secret boss if you feel like it, and said boss could lead to a secret level. There are a ton of things you could do to make good exploration levels but I won't be listing them all as I'd take me all day to describe them. All I can do now is wish you good luck at making a proper exploration level.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.

PostPosted by Magician » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:19 am

The probable golden rule would be: Don't make "Backtracking: The Level" if you can help it. That's not a requirement, though. It's just that backtracking tends to lend to boring gameplay. There are ways to do it right, like for example spawning new enemies or making environmental changes in areas being backtracked through.

One way to not have to deal with that is to create multiple paths that would lead to multiple level exits or conditions for victory.
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

PostPosted by krazykat » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:32 am

Start making random tunnels everywhere and then make it into a level.

At least, that's what I did a few times. I'd recommend it sometimes, but at other times it just doesnt work.
krazykat
Super Koopa
Super Koopa

Return to Levels & Level Design