Gimmicks

Come here for solutions regarding bugs or difficulties with playing or designing levels or episodes, as well as tutorials and general information and discussion.

Gimmicks

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Let's start this thread by saying what IS a gimmick: it's trick intended to attract attention.

Now that we comprehend what a gimmick is let's go further into this thread's topic, which is to discuss about gimmicks you would use on your SMBX levels. Plenty of gimmicks have been used throughout the history of SMBX, such as the implementation of elevators, water raising, space's gravity (most environmental than anything), practically anything that would change the methodically of gameplay. Gimmicks can be used in any way or fashion to make a level unique and appealing, but what gimmick would you use on your levels? Any gimmicks that perhaps haven't been used before?

Discuss about what gimmicks have people never used in the past, or even those that have been used.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.

Re: Gimmicks

PostPosted by krazykat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:20 pm

Using "attach to layer" works wonders.
krazykat
Super Koopa
Super Koopa

PostPosted by Kep » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:23 pm

I like to use the "hit the switch to change the water into lava and vice-versa" gimmick, although I don't know if that has been used before or anything.

One thing I know hasn't been used before is hitting a switch to change a door with an X on it (meaning you can't go through it) to a regular door which you can go through. Probably explained badly but hopefully you get the general idea. It could be used to hide a lot of secrets and stuff.
It'll be a thing in my project.

If you want a logo like what you see above this text for your project/signature, PM me!
Kep
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

Current Project: Super Mario and the Cavernous Structure

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:26 pm

@krazykat: Yet that trick has been used for so many enemy ideas, such a wonderful feature.

@Kep: Yeah, that gimmick was used by Chad on his project's level Boiler Basement Barrage. The one with the X marking the door so you can't go through has been used as well by reghrhre on his project, but using the switch to unlock it and lock others hasn't.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu

PostPosted by Blueoak » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Kep wrote:One thing I know hasn't been used before is hitting a switch to change a door with an X on it (meaning you can't go through it) to a regular door which you can go through. Probably explained badly but hopefully you get the general idea. It could be used to hide a lot of secrets and stuff.
It'll be a thing in my project.

The way you've explained it just makes it sound like an unnecessarily way of having a locked door. I mean, you could just put a key where the switch would be and have the door locked and it'd have the same effect.
"The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days..."
Blueoak
Tweeter
Tweeter

PostPosted by krazykat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Using switches could create locked doors, but with new platforms available unlike keys though.
krazykat
Super Koopa
Super Koopa

PostPosted by Hello » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:23 am

I have a level currently where it's a fusion of the lava that transforms into water from Donkey Kong Country 2 and the rotatable platforms from Yoshi's Island 2 that have spikes on one end and is flat on the other
(Yes both at the same time)
Hello
Tweeter
Tweeter

Current Project: Chicken Adventure RPG

PostPosted by Magician » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:31 am

I had an episode idea years ago wherein I was thinking of a way to double the width of the player hitbox to make it possible to scrunch a Bowser sprite into Link's frame for the sake of an episode. One very unorthodox idea occurred to me: If I can't change Link's hitbox, perhaps I can make everything else (or as much of everything else as possible) half size and then double Link's sprite by stretching the window. Obviously just setting that up would be a massive undertaking and there would be logistical problems; plenty of which I anticipated, and others yet that might have come up that I didn't.

The gimmick, therefore, was SMBX: WIDESCREEN.

I never bothered to do it, anyway. Decided it was more work than it's worth. Basically it's a matter of making everything into 1x2 pixels and adjusting the graphics/hitboxes wherever necessary, and when once that's all worked out, Link's entire sprite (and hitbox) would be able to be stretched to 2x2 pixels by using a sizer program with SMBX's window. The episode was working titled "Bowser's Rebellion" or something like that and I wash my hands of it completely.

Basically all of the other ideas that I had for that episode, I'm repurposing into another episode, but consider this my declassification of that core concept and you're all free to use it... well, if you really think it's worth it.
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

PostPosted by Dragonfan96 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:19 am

Gimmicks i like to use: Having a a riding Vertical section and dodge the landscape from crushing the player or a Vertical section in which a player must climb to the top before a hazard, say lava, burns them to a crisp.
Soaring to Success" :D ~Dragonfan96

These GFX's are awesome!Check them out some time!

Episodes i've created:
Image<---Artwork made by Squishy Rex
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=4582
Dragonfan96
Ninji
Ninji

Return to Software Information