The *Revived* SMBX Epi-contest-sode

Come here for solutions regarding bugs or difficulties with playing or designing levels or episodes, as well as tutorials and general information and discussion.

The *Revived* SMBX Epi-contest-sode

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:46 am

Credit to BMatSantos for the logo.

Since judging has now happened for the latest CC, I decided to revive/repost this now, hopefully it can work this time if I do a little bit more explaining. Also by the way I posted it on this forum to get a little bit more activity, so I wasn't sure where to exactly put it. Also as a word of warning, since I'm mostly active on the SMBX forums, I might not tend to this thread as frequently, but I'll still be active here. If you want the link to the SMBX forums thread (which might be more active), I've got it in my signature.

http://nsmbxforums.prophpbb.com/post91945.html#p91945

So, welcome one and all to the SMBX Epi-contest-sode, brought to you by me. In this contest, all participants will be stuffed into a bag and will be randomly pulled out of the bag in groups of 3. Each group will be called a team, and they will be given invisible stickers with names on them, these stickers will act as nameplates for each team. The participants will know their teammates, but they won't know their team's name, the judges will know the team names, but they won't know the team's members, this way it prevents any sort of bias from happening or whatever you kids call it now. Basically everyone will remain anonymous.

When the contest starts, each participant will be PM'd their teammates, and then they must collaborate to produce a very short episode consisting of 5 levels and a final boss level/dungeon/whatever. These levels must be original! Any knowledge of the level leaked to the public will result in points getting knocked off the team's final score. When the short episodes are finished, pack all of the levels, graphics, music, etc. into a .zip or .rar folder and send them to me via PM, and I will send them to the judges to test out.

The results of each episode will be given out over the course of a few days after the judges wrap up scoring. The judging process will happen after the deadline. As a team, you must work with your teammates to create an episode to please the judges, and you can do that in any way you see fit, such as using a cloud to share the episode files, collaborating online, or whatever you all agree on. The episode must follow the rule guidelines taken below (ripped and modified from the level contest).

DA RULEZ
  • The judges mustn't know which level or episode you made. You may not reveal any details about the episode to the public before the judges are done judging all the episodes. This includes showing screenshots of the levels prior to this announcement. You may not submit a level that you've posted screenshots of, or videos for that matter. And you can't say which level you made.
  • You must submit the episode before the deadline.
  • The episode must be complete and completeable.
  • The episode can't end the game.
  • Don't put a .lvl or the music in the graphics folder.
  • Don't submit levels that require an unbelievable playing / puzzle solving performance from the judges. While I want this contest to be as unrestricted as possible, so called Kaizo levels are something we don't want you to submit as they're a waste of our time. We won't disqualify you if you send us a Kaizo level or something comparable to Kaizo, but the judges aren't required to complete an unreasonably difficult level and it will receive a low score. You've been warned.
  • Do not put anything into a level, graphic, or in the files of the episode/levels that would otherwise hint at you being part of a team or making a specific level. Although I will skim through the files of the episode beforehand to make sure nothing passes through to the judges that shouldn't have passed through, please do not make any hints, subtle or not, that may direct to you or accuse another participant. Although the teams are pit against each other to make the best episode, I don't want any backstabbing, I expect you all to be civil.
  • When you work on your episodes, use a world map, not a hub.
  • You may use LunaDLL, but if your team does not agree on its use, please do not force them to use it.
  • Do not be rude to your teammates, if somebody complains about you, you will be booted out of the contest. You are supposed to collaborate and work together on an episode, we expect you to do so in a civil manner.
  • By submitting an episode you agree that it will be edited into a world map and put into an episode after the contest.

THE DEADLINE
The deadline will be March 31st, at 11:59 PM, EST. If you figure out what happens exactly a minute after that, kudos to you. This gives you about 60(?) days to work on an episode and sign-up and all that.
Sign-ups will close January 10th, and teams will be given out January 11th.

JUDGES
GMarinaX
Turtwig
Choco
Mystogan
Waddle Derp

PARTICIPANTS
SPOILER:
DatDude
GLD4
Pivot40Channel
Frozen Boo
Natsu
SuperMario7
Captain Eggcellence
krazykat
Dark Mecha
MECHDRAGON777
HealthyMario
Flying Brick
RudeGuy07
crusher169
FireLink
Shinbison-Kof
fireflowerhour
Júselmína
Last edited by 8bitmushroom on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:36 am, edited 16 times in total.
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
"you want a dickpic" ― Joey
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke
"Sleep is for the weak." ― Actually, I said that, why am I quoting it
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Current Project: Journey to Starland

Re: The *Revived* SMBX Epi-contest-sode

PostPosted by Natsu » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:37 am

This contest sounds interesting, and uncommon. I'll participate.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.

PostPosted by SuperMario7 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:30 am

I'll participate as well. When will the sign-ups close?
--SuperMario7--

Super Mario Legends has been revived! Please check it out be clicking the banner below!

I support:

SuperMario7
Lantern Ghost
Lantern Ghost

Current Project: Super Mario Legends Part I

PostPosted by Mystogan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:41 am

I would judge if possible, but if you're hand picking them then pick who you like.
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin

Current Project: Super Metroid: ______

PostPosted by Captain Eggcellence » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:22 am

I'll participate.
Captain Eggcellence
Ninji
Ninji

PostPosted by krazykat » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:30 am

I'll participate.
krazykat
Super Koopa
Super Koopa

PostPosted by Dark Mecha » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:37 am

That's sounds great, I'll participate too!
- R E T I R E D -
Dark Mecha
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

Current Project: The Power Of Stars!

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:11 pm

SuperMario7 wrote:When will the sign-ups close?

That's something I was skeptical about as I'm not sure how many people would actually join an interesting contest, I was looking at January 10th, so it gives a little more than a week to sign up, and teams will be put together on the 11th.
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:51 am

Ah, I forgot about this, and I'll say it now.

Please, when you work on your episodes, use a world map, not a hub!
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

PostPosted by Mystogan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:10 am

World maps are cooler anyways B)
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin

Current Project: Super Metroid: ______