The *Revived* SMBX Epi-contest-sode

Come here for solutions regarding bugs or difficulties with playing or designing levels or episodes, as well as tutorials and general information and discussion.

Re: The *Revived* SMBX Epi-contest-sode

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:04 am

After having it *much* requested and much needed, I'm going to clarify a few things before the contest actually begins.

Upon entering the contest, your names will be put into a hat. On January 11th, three or four names, depending on how many people we get, will be drawn from that hat. Those people will be part of a team, not knowing what the other teams consist of. Each team will have the task of creating 6 levels total, five normal levels and an ending castle.

The normal levels can be of any length, use any gimmick, and do anything the teams please. The ending castle level uses those same rulings, only it must end with a boss (the boss can not end the game). You may not use levels that have been used in other contests or released to the public. However, you may use the levels you entered in the contest in any way you want after the contest ends and as long as it's alright with your team members.
After all of your levels are completed, you must put them into a world map, not a hub. Make sure the episode in its entirety is complete-able, this goes for all levels, the boss, and anything else that must be completed to progress.
Additionally, if your team comes to an agreement, you can have a Toad House or other bonus level in your contest entry.

When all contest entries and the deadline has been reached, the judges will begin judging each episode. The results will then be released in Tiers. At the end of judging and when the winner of the contest is announced, I will immediately go into the creation of the compilation episode, which will act similar to how the Tower of Biased works.

This is a contest about cooperation with your team, and the fun part about it is that you don't know who will be on your team, so you'll have to adapt to that. You can create your short episode in any way you want as long as your team comes to an agreement on it, but it must be done before the deadline (which may be subject to change).

So, in total, your contest entry episode must consist of at least 6 levels, five normal and one boss dungeon/castle. It may have one bonus or Toad House level. All levels submitted in the contest entry episode must be original in the sense that they have not been used in any other contest and have not been seen anywhere else.

Hope that clears some things up. (Also poll is at http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 11#p109811 because I can't make polls here.)
Last edited by 8bitmushroom on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
"you want a dickpic" ― Joey
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke
"Sleep is for the weak." ― Actually, I said that, why am I quoting it
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Current Project: Journey to Starland

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:01 am

*looks at watch* Today is the 10th so that means sign-ups end, correct?

FALSE!

After coming across a strange discovery, it seems we have 6 teams of 3, however there is one person that did not get put on a team (not saying who for anonymity reasons). I have three choices as of right now and I need to all to choose before the 12th (when I actually plan on giving out the teams, the reason for the day delay is this). I'll put up a poll so you can choose what should happen.

First option that came to mind! Looking for two more participants, though this will require me to rework all of the teams again to still remain anonymous, it may be the easier route to have 7 teams of 3.

Second option that came to mind! I can put that lone wolf into a random team, giving one random team 4 members as opposed to everyone else having 3. This could cause balance issues however.

Third and final option that came to mind! I can have that one user as a substitute, and if somebody ever drops out or something happens, that person can easily be dragged into the team, though this might be rather messy.

I have notified the lone wolf of this issue to see what their opinion on it is. They might just drop out entirely, I'm not sure what they want to do about this. It is quite a speed-bump on something that was chugging along just fine! Well, these things happen, so lets hear what you guys think about this situation.
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

PostPosted by SuperMario7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:05 am

I think the lone wolf should be put into a random team, so my vote goes to option 2. The only problem this would cause would be how some users on that team wouldn't be able to make as many levels as they normally would, but this doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. You could argue that the extra level designer would give that team an advantage, but if that team was already really solid in terms of level designers, and a less-good level designer joined them, it could actually hurt them in the long run. It could go the other way, too.

Also, did you forget to put a poll up on this forum? Or do you just not want users to revote here after voting on Joey's Forum?
--SuperMario7--

Super Mario Legends has been revived! Please check it out be clicking the banner below!

I support:

SuperMario7
Lantern Ghost
Lantern Ghost

Current Project: Super Mario Legends Part I

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:15 pm

SuperMario7 wrote:Also, did you forget to put a poll up on this forum? Or do you just not want users to revote here after voting on Joey's Forum?

I couldn't set up a poll on the OP, so neither.
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

PostPosted by SuperMario7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Oh, that's strange. Is it okay if I make one for you?
--SuperMario7--

Super Mario Legends has been revived! Please check it out be clicking the banner below!

I support:

SuperMario7
Lantern Ghost
Lantern Ghost

Current Project: Super Mario Legends Part I

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:30 pm

SuperMario7 wrote:Oh, that's strange. Is it okay if I make one for you?

Go ahead, I would prefer it like the one on Joey's forums, if you don't mind.
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:15 am

So I decided to end the results early since I need to work on the teams now and I think I know what will happen. One of your teams will have the lone wolf, so it will have 4 teammates rather than the 3 everybody else has.

I will PM you all with your team results when I get the chance, make sure you check them and get in contact with all your teammates as soon as possible, you can create your episode for the contest as soon as you receive the results.

Remember, your team must make a total of 5 normal levels, and a final dungeon/castle/boss level, for a total of 6 levels. You can also make a 7th bonus/Toad House level. Make sure all of the levels are on a world map, preferably one you would like to see in the episode. Do not use custom graphics for the world map. Each level must be unique in that it is built from the ground up with your team. Make sure you include a credits.txt in your episode folder. Make sure you send the finished episode to me in a .zip or .rar folder, make sure all levels are complete-able and finished. Please do not use Star Exits!

For those of you here, I sent all of your PMs with your teammates on Joey's forum, though if you don't get the PM or some of you can't access that particular forum, PM me and I will tell you your teammates, you will have to find your own ways to contact each other.
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Previous

Return to Software Information