Forest of Illusion

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Forest of Illusion

PostPosted by ErikMouse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Heya, I think 'Other Business' is probably the best place to put this, since this pertains to business not related to certain things on here. What is going on, is I'm having trouble with the Forest of Illusion forum where stuff is needing to be changed or fixed on it and I have come across this quote suggesting that NSMBX reopening has something to do with it.

Shiro wrote:It's dead. NSMBX reopened. This place died pretty much after removing the original theme. This place will probably be closing soon enough. It was a waste of time for everyone.

In response, I have finished up an ASCII forum layout I had been doing in notepad, uploaded it to PasteBin, and opened up a discussion in the staff forum over there about it to get opinions or any changes needed to my layout ideas. At first, it seemed Shiro was agreeing with me and robercop was busy working on a new forum theme, but then I find another response from Shiro about conflicting interests and that he walked off the admin team over there.

This all has me upset that it looks like I'm now needing to find another admin or two to fill positions that have opened up and could help with things. If you think you can help me out here and know anything about doing forum themes and stuff, please let me know.
ErikMouse
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

Re: Forest of Illusion

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:11 pm

So you're basically requesting people that are both interested in the position, acknowledgeable of the requirements and capable of handling any conflicts in there, is that it?

I talked about this with Marina on the IRC, because I wanted a quick solution for this matter regarding two facts. With this thread you're asking help about an outside website, which is FOI. That is easily considered advertising. Second is that there is no guarantee you'll get what you're looking for here, simply because there's not much activity here yet, and within the users that compose said activity only a few would fulfil your expectations, or so I suppose. The problem with that is that the people that would fulfil your expectations would majorly be part of the staff of this forum's staff, and that would be a problem because handling two forums may be possible, but may not produce the same results, and if it does it may tire the person who has the same job here and there. If you manage to find somebody that is not part of this forum's staff and is qualified to help you, then that's a relief, and if he can help you and is willing to lend a hand, that's even better. I just want you to have that in mind.

I'm curious as to how had "Shiro", whoever he truly is, got to the conclusion that this site is the root of the problems you have on your forum. It is reasonable because if many forums coexist they are bond to have separate userbase, some will prefer a certain place and some won't, so they are bond to scatter between them. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean we have any fault here. You, or him, whoever actually, may see this forum as a cannon that does take an indirect hit on your forum, that I do not care as it is a natural reaction, but do not blame NSMBX as we have no fault at all.

As for your forum being considered advertising, I and Marina, we both think that we could overlook this thread, only this time that is. We do not find it way to threatening in this case, though our resolution may change at anytime and if it does I would like you to accept the result and move on. That is all I ask you to do.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.

PostPosted by ErikMouse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Natsu wrote:So you're basically requesting people that are both interested in the position, acknowledgeable of the requirements and capable of handling any conflicts in there, is that it?

Yeah, that is basically what I am requesting.

Natsu wrote:I talked about this with Marina on the IRC, because I wanted a quick solution for this matter regarding two facts. With this thread you're asking help about an outside website, which is FOI. That is easily considered advertising. Second is that there is no guarantee you'll get what you're looking for here, simply because there's not much activity here yet, and within the users that compose said activity only a few would fulfill your expectations, or so I suppose. The problem with that is that the people that would fulfill your expectations would majorly be part of the staff of this forum's staff, and that would be a problem because handling two forums may be possible, but may not produce the same results, and if it does it may tire the person who has the same job here and there. If you manage to find somebody that is not part of this forum's staff and is qualified to help you, then that's a relief, and if he can help you and is willing to lend a hand, that's even better. I just want you to have that in mind.

I'm curious as to how had "Shiro", whoever he truly is, got to the conclusion that this site is the root of the problems you have on your forum. It is reasonable because if many forums coexist they are bond to have separate userbase, some will prefer a certain place and some won't, so they are bond to scatter between them. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean we have any fault here. You, or him, whoever actually, may see this forum as a cannon that does take an indirect hit on your forum, that I do not care as it is a natural reaction, but do not blame NSMBX as we have no fault at all.

Well, if you don't know, Shiro is Xerx on here and the only conclusion that I got that sounded like NSMBX is the root of the problems I have on my forum was a message from him that said this, which I mentioned before.

Shiro wrote:It's dead. NSMBX reopened. This place died pretty much after removing the original theme. This place will probably be closing soon enough. It was a waste of time for everyone

If you need proof this comment was said, I can point you to where it was said since the thread it is in is publicly viewable. On top of that, I have gotten discussion from robercop who tells me the SMBX is gone and being replaced with general gaming, which suggests to me the SMBX stuff got pulled to NSMBX by the sound of things. I'm not 100% certain, but that is what I am feeling what had happened and am hoping to find a resolution to this where both forums can coexist without anymore problems.

Natsu wrote:As for your forum being considered advertising, I and Marina, we both think that we could overlook this thread, only this time that is. We do not find it way to threatening in this case, though our resolution may change at anytime and if it does I would like you to accept the result and move on. That is all I ask you to do.

Yeah, I was hoping that you would overlook this thread, since I'm just looking for help and a resolution to a problem I am having and that I have not linked to the location of the Forest of Illusion forum.
ErikMouse
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 pm

ErikMouse wrote:Well, if you don't know, Shiro is Xerx on here and the only conclusion that I got that sounded like NSMBX is the root of the problems I have on my forum was a message from him that said this, which I mentioned before.

Oh right, now that you mention it XerX did go by that name on SMBX.org for a long time now, I dunno how I missed that. =P

ErikMouse wrote:If you need proof this comment was said, I can point you to where it was said since the thread it is in is publicly viewable. On top of that, I have gotten discussion from robercop who tells me the SMBX is gone and being replaced with general gaming, which suggests to me the SMBX stuff got pulled to NSMBX by the sound of things. I'm not 100% certain, but that is what I am feeling what had happened and am hoping to find a resolution to this where both forums can coexist without anymore problems.

I need no proof, I believe you. Now that I know that Shiro is XerX that actually sounds like something XerX would said, kind of at least. Wait, so you're telling me that robercop wants SMBX to not be the main topic of FOI but general gaming instead, and that pulled off many people to this site? That's what I got from that sentence, and to be honest that may be possible, but that is still not 100% true. NSMBX is considered one of the oldest SMBX forums out there, and a classic one too, if you compare it to the Mario franchise you may call it SMB3 or SMW, whatever you like, and I think that is actually the reason that interested people the most. I cannot 100% certify it IS that way, but then again that's the way I see it is, so I honestly can't speak for anybody else because that IS the way I think it is.
Natsu

PostPosted by XerX » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm just gonna drop this quote here.

Shiro wrote:I'm honestly not gonna stick around with this project anymore. I feel like I've been a barrier in your path, Erik. You seem to have opposite ideals than I, and that is a conflict of how this place will and should be run. It was fun while it lasted, but it's becoming a chore, and the constant changes aren't helping the look of this place either. Sorry to have slowed you down.

That is what I had said. I do feel like I was in the way of what you wanted to do. I tried...tried so hard to make a website that you and robercop both agreed with, and that was nice to look at, and not a rip-off of another site. Seeing as the place was generally dead, and the amount of times the website has been revamped, changed, renamed, ect made me just feel like I was not good enough to help with your project of yours. I also felt way out of place anyways. Robercop invited me to this 'project', with from what I observed, was without your knowledge.

But hey, no hard feelings, really. I just don't fit the role of the 'third' administrator you are looking for.
XerX
Dino Rhino
Dino Rhino

PostPosted by ErikMouse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Natsu wrote:I need no proof, I believe you. Now that I know that Shiro is XerX that actually sounds like something XerX would said, kind of at least. Wait, so you're telling me that robercop wants SMBX to not be the main topic of FOI but general gaming instead, and that pulled off many people to this site? That's what I got from that sentence, and to be honest that may be possible, but that is still not 100% true. NSMBX is considered one of the oldest SMBX forums out there, and a classic one too, if you compare it to the Mario franchise you may call it SMB3 or SMW, whatever you like, and I think that is actually the reason that interested people the most. I cannot 100% certify it IS that way, but then again that's the way I see it is, so I honestly can't speak for anybody else because that IS the way I think it is.

Yeah, this is the PM convo that I had with robercop where he wants SMBX to not be the main topic of FOI anymore and just general gaming instead.
Code: Select all
<robercop> yeah im finally going to be beginning major work on forestofillusion.org
<ErikMouse> Okay, I already can tell it needs major work by the looks of the activity on it.
<robercop> yes
<robercop> its going to get a makeover
<robercop> away from just mario but gaming in general
<robercop> no smbx
<ErikMouse> Well, if you have logged into the Staff Discussions there, you would have noticed I had made a recent post wondering what is going on as well as did an ASCII forum layout design. The ASCII forum layout design is a way I was using to discuss forum layouts to see whats good and whats not without actually changing things around until things are decided.
<robercop> replied to your thread.

With this and Shiro/Xerx's comment starting with "It's dead. NSMBX reopened." has me thinking NSMBX reopening has something to do with the problems I have with my forum. With Shiro/Xerx having left the staff of FOI, I'm currently looking for new help for FOI to get a resolution to this problem.
ErikMouse
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

PostPosted by XerX » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Why do you need a third so bad? Can't you and robercop figure it out between the two of you?
XerX
Dino Rhino
Dino Rhino

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:02 pm

XerX has a point. The activity on FOI dropped, and that has to be solved if you want more people, equally meaning it is a good place to be at. Well, kinda at least. The point is that if your forum lost activity hiring more people for the staff isn't going to help you at all, because they wouldn't have anything to do at all. The reason why forum owners hire members to be part of the staff is because more members are joining, and that may or may not be difficult for them as activity grows and they can't keep up with all the posts that are made each day. With that problem in mind, they hire more people, but since FOI has lost activity, the least you'll have to worry, at least right now, is about the staff team. What you should focus on is on managing to make your forum appealing, and that is way tougher than anything else a founder has to do, at least I believe so, I have never been founder of my own popular forum, but I have started many others to no avail.

I would gladly like to lend a hand if possible. But I don't know if I'd last that long. I don't know how FOI looks right now either, but I could get used to it.
Natsu

PostPosted by ErikMouse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:04 pm

XerX wrote:Why do you need a third so bad? Can't you and robercop figure it out between the two of you?

Right now, I don't know exactly what robercop is trying to do with revamping the website yet again, and I have had someone, I believe it was Cloud or FCN, who told me I should get rid of robercop. Not just demote him, but delete the account completely. I haven't done the sort yet as I don't exactly know what to think yet. With you removing yourself from the admin group and me receiving suggestions to remove robercop, that leaves me feeling I really need new help for the forum. That and robercop making the attempt to change it to general gaming and you saying "It's dead. NSMBX reopened." has me feeling the SMBX activity that was there got somehow pulled to NSMBX when it reopened. I don't exactly know what is going on, but it has me feeling upset that I'm looking for help here to get a resolution to the problems.

Natsu wrote:XerX has a point. The activity on FOI dropped, and that has to be solved if you want more people, equally meaning it is a good place to be at. Well, kinda at least. The point is that if your forum lost activity hiring more people for the staff isn't going to help you at all, because they wouldn't have anything to do at all. The reason why forum owners hire members to be part of the staff is because more members are joining, and that may or may not be difficult for them as activity grows and they can't keep up with all the posts that are made each day. With that problem in mind, they hire more people, but since FOI has lost activity, the least you'll have to worry, at least right now, is about the staff team. What you should focus on is on managing to make your forum appealing, and that is way tougher than anything else a founder has to do, at least I believe so, I have never been founder of my own popular forum, but I have started many others to no avail.

I would gladly like to lend a hand if possible. But I don't know if I'd last that long. I don't know how FOI looks right now either, but I could get used to it.

I can give you a link to show you what FOI looks like at the moment and my ASCII Forum layout attempt, if you think you can help and bring a resolution to this.
Last edited by Natsu on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge'd double post.
ErikMouse
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:08 pm

Sure, I would love to see the new layout. Also, please don't double-post.

Also, I think what matters is what you do want. Do you want to keep SMBX as FOI's main topic? Or do you want to go through all changes needed for FOI to flourish? One does not guarantee the other, nor does vice-versa. What I'm suggesting is that you worry for your forum's sake, that would determine what you should do, who should you trust, and most importantly help you in the uncertain future.
Natsu

Next

Return to Other Business