How you got into SMBX?

Come here for solutions regarding bugs or difficulties with playing or designing levels or episodes, as well as tutorials and general information and discussion.

How you got into SMBX?

PostPosted by castlewars » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:45 pm

So, as we know, everyone here is into SMBX. But the question is, how? This is my story of how I got into SMBX:

Well, before SMBX, I started my level-editing career in Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2. Or, more specifically, the Mission Builder, back when I was 9. I amused myself and my brother with it and we learned how to make our own CFS2 missions together. However, two years later, I just so happened to discover GameNinja.com when playing Heat Rush, and discover it had a section dedicated to Mario games! This was where I found Super Mario Flash, which had a level editor. However, upon accidentally discovering supermariobrothers.org when searching for some flash Super Mario games when I was 12 was what got me into SMBX. I found the SMBX 1.1.2 link at the top and I eagerly clicked it, seeing it had a level editor. Back then, I really enjoyed making my own levels, as my creativity was so vast. However, I couldn't figure out how to fully use the editor until I got SMBX 1.2. In effect, it was CFS2 that set the scene for my SMBX life.

How did you guys here in the community end up getting into SMBX?
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

THE GREAT CASTLE ADVENTURE (REMAKE!)

Give this link a click to go to my NEW YouTube channel! Subscribe if you want!

Using custom graphics doesn't mean your level becomes "good". It's about how you use them.

Join http://smbediting.prophpbb.com if you haven't done so!
castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

Current Project: The Great Castle Adventure REMAKE!

Re: How you got into SMBX?

PostPosted by Kep » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:49 pm

WiiRikeToPray got me into it.

If you want a logo like what you see above this text for your project/signature, PM me!
Kep
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

Current Project: Super Mario and the Cavernous Structure

PostPosted by Mystogan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:50 pm

sleepy and reghrhre lead me to SMBX.
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin

Current Project: Super Metroid: ______

PostPosted by Christian07 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:00 pm

I got SMBX in the 2011-2012. At those times, I started my project, which was trying to be a normal Mario game, with 8 worlds and etc., but it was very bad, but I actually finished it. Also, I didn't know how to put custom graphics into the levels and how to make so your episode can show up in the SMBX main game. In the 2012 I deleted SMBX, with the whole episode I made, then I redownloaded the game in the summer 2013. After, I discovered there were some forums for SMBX and in the 27 november I registered in SMBX:Revived.
And now I'm here.
Christian07
Spike
Spike

Current Project: The Star of Subcon

PostPosted by Pseudo-dino » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:06 pm

I first played SMBX in mid-to-late 2009 when version 1.1 was uploaded to MFGG, a site I lurked often at the time. I was already invested in Super Mario 63 and was a member of its community back then, but was trying to find a Mario level editor that was more versatile and similar to the actual 2D Mario games (not that Super Mario 63 isn't great). When I found SMBX, I got super excited and joined the forums soon after.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
I think Frozen is a pretty cool guy. Eh mkaes ice and doesnt afraid of anything.
Redigit is cool.
I believe in Princess Luna as my Lady and Savior. If you do as well, put this in your signature.
Pseudo-dino
Blooper
Blooper

PostPosted by Squishy Rex » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:20 pm

To be honest, I'm basically like Pseudo here, except, when it came to the forums (Trekweb) I still just lurked, I registered, but never made a single post. I was on there at least once a day, so you could say I was a very active lurker. I've been around for nearly the whole life of SMBX and the dramas that ensued. Now, although not too much has really changed, I can feel the chapter of SMBX ending with the rise of PGE and VSMBX now making headway. Honestly if it weren't for these programs finally turning from dream to reality, I doubt I would have stuck around for to much longer. Not that I'm going anywhere now of course.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

I Support:
Squishy Rex
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

Current Project: Utopia

PostPosted by AirSeus-ZMB » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Mother Brain;

I was so close to supe metroid, and I saw that you could make your own boss with her (I had no clue that it was mario, but I have been into mario since I was 2).
AirSeus-ZMB
Spiny
Spiny

PostPosted by Mystogan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:36 pm

If you like Super Metroid you should check out my hack, and my work.
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin

Current Project: Super Metroid: ______

PostPosted by Sezixor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Here's my story of how I got into SMBX.

In October of 2011 (or at least close to that time), I was watching a playthrough of the computer game called "worlds hardest game." On the side recommendations, there was a video called Impossible Mario. I clicked on it and was fan fascinated to see mario in a world other than one from either Nintendo products or a cheesy computer game. I watched a lot more of those videos for a while and got the idea "these kazio levels must have been custom made, I would like to do that, too!"

After a lot of searching, I found Super Mario Flash, then eventually the improved version Super Mario Flash 2. I was addicted to those for a while, but I eventally grew tired of their limitations. I did a lot more searching, and I eventally found a YouTube video which showcased a trailer for SMBX. Needless to say, my mind was blown by the seemingly exotic features that Super Mario Flash was devoid of.

I downloaded it and slowly learned how to use it through YouTube tutorials and level showcases. I eventally found as303298's channel and watched his videos for a while, which led me to download graphic packs, episodes, and soon enough, the discovery of the SMBX community, which I joined in August of 2012. It's almost 2015 and I'm still here.
Sezixor
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

Current Project: Super Mario First Class

PostPosted by Natsu » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:40 pm

I don't have that much of a story. Like many people I found myself interested on level designing, but not just related to Mario, any kind of game would have worked for me. By that time I was a big fan of games such as LoZ, SMB and SM, even to the point of drawing levels myself. But then I got tired and decided to search for an engine to actually make levels. The first engine I have ever used was Super Mario Flash, which seems to be the very first level designing page many people have used here. Mario Builder then came out, which many of you might be familiar with. It was pretty damn awesome

Later on 2012 I found SMBX while watching some Mario Builder videos, and I was simply fascinated with all the stuff you could do with it. It didn't took me too long to download it and start using it. I actually started a project back then that for my misfortune I forgot its name. As it was one of my first projects alongside many of my very first levels it did not use custom graphics, as I thought it was impossible to begin with. After some time though I decided to search for some tutorials about SMBX and later on found this forum, NSMBX where I registered and started all kind of crazy changes on my life style and actually helped me mature.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.

Next

Return to Software Information