Some sub-forum suggestions for this board

Post your levels in progress here! Completed levels will get sorted out. Levels completed prior to posting can be placed immediately in the subforum pertaining to their gameplay.
This forum is also for general discussions about level design.

Re: Some sub-forum suggestions for this board

PostPosted by Magician » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:09 am

It kind of depends on what you mean by space. Like, some people might replace effect-113 with a blank image and make what is effectively water level gameplay, but in a space environment, so of course that wouldn't go in Athletic.

Metroid levels, if they follow Metroid gameplay rather than just visually, would go in Underworld. Levels can still look like Metroid levels but actually fit elsewhere, though, so I don't want to label them as such.

Levels that are visually indoor don't have any gameplay specifications for them, and you would place them depending on what kind of gameplay is in them.

As for "joke" levels, it highly depends on the content. I don't have a rule against it for the time being but I reserve the right to change that. If the "joke" is that no effort was involved in making it, then I don't see why you'd post it in the first place. However I don't want people to get scolded for levels that appear jokey or have humourous content but are also actually creative, and for those levels, the standard "check the gameplay" applies. Some go in Misc, some go in Hazardous, et cetera.
User avatar
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Some sub-forum suggestions for this board

PostPosted by Mystogan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:05 am

Magician wrote:Metroid levels, if they follow Metroid gameplay rather than just visually, would go in Underworld.
I gotta disagree with you there doc. Crateria is a great example of why they shouldnt go in underworld. If you were asking me, someone who has worked with Metroid since 2009.. Well, I personally think that there wont exactly be many Metroid based levels. I only seen Valtteri's green brin thus far.., I think the level should just fit the theme. If it's Maridian, it goes in water. Brinstar, underworld. Norfair, underworld. Tourian would be Misc, unless there is a mechanical sub forum, for levels like factories. I dont think there is though. And Crateria should go in overworld. Wrecked Ship doesnt matter, it's just water anyway.

That's what I think anyways. Based off Super Metroid.
Image
User avatar
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:10 am
Location: Canada
Current Project: Super Metroid: ______

Re: Some sub-forum suggestions for this board

PostPosted by Kyo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:31 am

Magician wrote:As for "joke" levels, it highly depends on the content. I don't have a rule against it for the time being but I reserve the right to change that. If the "joke" is that no effort was involved in making it, then I don't see why you'd post it in the first place. However I don't want people to get scolded for levels that appear jokey or have humourous content but are also actually creative, and for those levels, the standard "check the gameplay" applies. Some go in Misc, some go in Hazardous, et cetera.

Levels that include jokes aren't joke levels. Levels that are jokes are joke levels. The former should be allowed, the latter shouldn't.
User avatar
Kyo
Wiggler
Wiggler
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:20 am

Re: Some sub-forum suggestions for this board

PostPosted by Magician » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:13 am

I know what most people mean when they say joke levels; it's just that, going forward, I'd like people to expand on their notions what ought to be and could be considered humourous content in a level, and that's why I was very specific about how I described what I meant.

Aysedaesi wrote:
Magician wrote:Metroid levels, if they follow Metroid gameplay rather than just visually, would go in Underworld.
I gotta disagree with you there doc. Crateria is a great example of why they shouldnt go in underworld. If you were asking me, someone who has worked with Metroid since 2009.. Well, I personally think that there wont exactly be many Metroid based levels. I only seen Valtteri's green brin thus far.., I think the level should just fit the theme. If it's Maridian, it goes in water. Brinstar, underworld. Norfair, underworld. Tourian would be Misc, unless there is a mechanical sub forum, for levels like factories. I dont think there is though. And Crateria should go in overworld. Wrecked Ship doesnt matter, it's just water anyway.

That's what I think anyways. Based off Super Metroid.

This is true. I was just using simplistic terms to get my point across. That's why I suggested not just automatically labelling them as Underworld levels without looking at the gameplay first.
User avatar
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:55 am

Previous

Return to Levels & Level Design

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests