Secrets in SMBX

Come here for solutions regarding bugs or difficulties with playing or designing levels or episodes, as well as tutorials and general information and discussion.

Secrets in SMBX

PostPosted by castlewars » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:44 pm

When playing around with a lava level, I soon discovered that by altering the Blargg's speed, it allowed him to jump further. There is also another, obvious secret as well, although more of a glitch, which involves having an upgraded form of the player duck and slide into an area, then release Down. The player slides straight out, opposite direction to the way they're facing. However, a lot of people know this secret.

Anyways, these were two secrets that I found with SMBX. This thread is for anyone that has discovered some secrets to do with SMBX.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

THE GREAT CASTLE ADVENTURE (REMAKE!)

Give this link a click to go to my NEW YouTube channel! Subscribe if you want!

Using custom graphics doesn't mean your level becomes "good". It's about how you use them.

Join http://smbediting.prophpbb.com if you haven't done so!
castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

Current Project: The Great Castle Adventure REMAKE!

Re: Secrets in SMBX

PostPosted by h2643 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Please note that "NPC's" in this post means "NPCs". Anyway, let's begin!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dummy NPCs

I discovered a weird thing in SMBX with LunaDLL. There's actually 8 more NPC's that we didn't knew about. It's NPC-293, NPC-294, NPC-295, ... , NPC-300. Normally, those NPC's are invisible, but you can make them visible by inserting a graphic. Of course it must be in "GIF" format.
By that I mean this:
SPOILER:

Those NPC's are all the same. I mean they have same behaviours.
For example, they can be frozen, but if you'll unfreeze them, they won't move:
SPOILER:

They can walk on lava(!):
SPOILER:

They can't be defeated by Peach's Heart Bombs, Link's Lasers, Toad's Boomerangs, Mario's/Luigi's Hammers and Fireballs:
SPOILER:

They can't be defeated by Rainbow Shells:
SPOILER:

They can't walk on Switch Block's Outlines, but can walk on Switch Blocks:
SPOILER:

Also, you can die/lose your power-up, if that NPC will touch Clown Car:
SPOILER:

Note: you can't defeat those NPC's by a Clown Car.
If your buried Hammer Bro will throwing those NPC's, they still will be able to walk on the ground and they won't defeat each other:
SPOILER:

Those NPC's can't be defeated by Veggies, Mushroom Blocks, Pot Piranha Plants, Bombs and even by Metal Pipes (Metal Pipes will just push those NPC's):
SPOILER:

If NPC will stand on a hittable block, you won't be able to defeat it:
SPOILER:

Those NPC's can't be defeated by SMB3 Ice Blocks and player's Ice Blocks:
SPOILER:

Also, if you'll try to kick some NPC on those secret NPC's, kicked NPC will defeat itself:
SPOILER:

You can't defeat those NPC's by a Boot, by Link's Shield, by jumping on them and by spin-jumping on them.
SPOILER:

Those NPC's can also walk on platforms:
SPOILER:

Also, those NPC's are very fast.
Those NPC's can't be defeated by Koopa Shells:
SPOILER:

Can't be defeated by a Statue, I even tried to "slide" into NPC, but it didn't defeated him:
SPOILER:

NPC can be eaten by Yoshi and you will gather 100 points(!):
SPOILER:

But it can't be defeated by Yoshi's Fireballs and Yoshi's Ice Cubes:
SPOILER:

NPC can't be defeated by Racoon's/Tanooki's Tail, also.
NPC stops moving when the Time Clock/Green P-Switch activated:
SPOILER:

NPC can't be defeated by friendly Bullet Bill Blaster:
SPOILER:

It also can't be defeated by SMW Grinder:
SPOILER:

NPC can stay on top of other NPC's (on which Mario can stand too):
SPOILER:

NPC reacts with water and quicksand (it slows down a bit):
SPOILER:

NPC can react with Conveyor Belt like every other normal NPC:
SPOILER:

If you will freeze 2 NPC's and throw them to each other in their frozen form, they of course will defeat themselfs.
Purple Yoshi's ground pound can't defeat them too.
Those NPC's are working with everything (like Death event and Attach to Layer too, etc.).
SPOILER:

FanofSMBU wrote:What happens if Lakitu throws them?

Lakitu will throw them like he throws other enemies, but the NPC won't be able to move.

If your Pink Yoshi will eat those NPC's, he will spit out veggies, of course:
SPOILER:

If that NPC is buried, it won't defeat itself if Mario will kick it on another same NPC. It also won't move:
SPOILER:

Destroyed Frozen NPC will give you 100 points too:
SPOILER:

If you will select the NPC when you're testing a level, you'll see this error:
SPOILER:

Element '294' because I tested this with NPC-294.

If Bubble, in which the NPC, is popped, NPC will fall down and won't move.
If the Egg, in which the NPC, is destroyed, NPC won't move.
Also, if you will set the NPC though "Advanced" tab to something, it still will act the same as it acted before.
NPC's after 300, like NPC-301, NPC-368, NPC-3360 or NPC-368687 will crash your SMBX. You'll got this error:
SPOILER:

Interesting thing is that if you will select the NPC tab, while those dummy NPCs are in the level, the "The Lakitus are throwing Lakitus!" tab will appear, meaning that they were going to appear in the tab, but the idea was scrapped.

Those NPCs also work with txt-files. Also "nohammer=0" doesn't work to this NPC, that means this code is fake for real.
AND YES, THOSE NPCs DO HURT YOU!!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
NPC-0

To get an NPC-0 you need to do this:
Place an empty Herb in a level:
SPOILER:

Then grab it:
SPOILER:

And vuala, you got it!

As a proof, after that small experiment, I decided to test this NPC with LunaDLL. Here's the code I used:
NPCMemSet,0,0xE2,1,0,0,w
It will change NPC-0 to NPC-1 (to SMB3 Goomba).

And here's the result, after I grabbed it, even with the custom graphics, it's empty (invisible), but when I kicked it, Mario stomped it immediately, but its effect wasn't seen:
SPOILER:

Even if you will hold NPC-0, it won't defeat itself and the NPC near it:
SPOILER:

You can't select the NPC (atleast I wasn't able to do that).
If you will place NPC-0 in the level (with help of LunaDLL), it will just dissappear.

Here's an interesting thing. If you will hold NPC-0 and, if it will touch NPC-237 (Yoshi's Ice Block), it will defeat this NPC, but it won't kill itself:
SPOILER:

It can't be attached to objects and objects can't be attached to it, since it dissappears as soon as you enter the level.
NPC-302
So while there's no NPC-301, Kevsoft with Wohlstand discovered that there's NPC-302!!!

It acts just like NPC-0 - it vanishes as soon as it appears on a screen, because of its sizes (0x0).

Also, NPC list is now available here, where you can see some interesting stuff:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_SMBX64/O ... e/npcs.php
Link's secret spin-jump

Accidently, when I was playing somebody's level, I discovered that...
Link can Spin-jump!

All you have to do, is to place a Link Player Block above the NPC, that can be spin-jumped on (Spiny, Piranha Plant, etc.). Then spin-jump into the Link block. And when you will land on the NPC while Spin-jumping, it won't hurt you and you will continue Spin-jumping on it:
SPOILER:

You also can still attack while spin-jumping:
SPOILER:

While Spin-jumping, Link will be always faced left and if you will turn him right, he will be turned automatically left again (here I mean his frame will be turned left, his position won't change).
Also, when he will be transformed into a Fairy and then back to normal, he still will be able to Spin-jump.

And last thing, Link loses his ability to Spin-jump after transforming into a Statue and then back to normal, but every other character does that too.
Rainbow Shell glitch

I've just discovered a glitch with Rainbow Shell. If Mario will jump on the level's edge while riding a Rainbow Shell, Mario will fall on the floor and will continue spinning and sparkling:
SPOILER:

You can control Mario by pressing Left and Right, but you can't jump while doing that glitch!

If you will hit the wall, you will be pushed down in the floor:
SPOILER:

The only way to stop the glitch, is to spin-jump.

Idk if this glitch was discovered already. And also no LunaDLL used for this one.
Unused Toad frames

It looks like Toad has some unused frames:
SPOILER:

Used SMBX 1.3.0.1..
So yeah, this is all of my current SMBX discoveries. If I will find more secret stuff, I'll post it here.
Also big post FTW!
h2643
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

PostPosted by h2643 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Added a note about NPC-302, see above.
h2643
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

PostPosted by andreepika123 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:14 am

h2643 wrote:Unused Toad frames

It looks like Toad has some unused frames:
SPOILER:

It looks like the remains of a unreleased smb1 flag exit animation for the next version of smbx that went unreleased.
and also the sliding animation of toad, it seems toad originally is gonna use the slopes.
Projects:
Untitled smbx project 1
Unititled smbx project 2

working on it
not in the works
done or demo available

I support.
andreepika123
Red Koopa
Red Koopa

PostPosted by Razer Fox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:59 am

andreepika123 wrote:It looks like the remains of a unreleased smb1 flag exit animation for the next version of smbx that went unreleased.

Actually, it's a Yoshi riding animation.
Razer Fox
Red Koopa
Red Koopa

PostPosted by andreepika123 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Razer Fox wrote:
andreepika123 wrote:It looks like the remains of a unreleased smb1 flag exit animation for the next version of smbx that went unreleased.

Actually, it's a Yoshi riding animation.

Maybe if we have luna.dll for smbx, maybe we can modify toad player so he can ride yoshis and edit when he hits a block with yoshi egg inside it (mostly yoshi, for sure). <;)>
Projects:
Untitled smbx project 1
Unititled smbx project 2

working on it
not in the works
done or demo available

I support.
andreepika123
Red Koopa
Red Koopa

PostPosted by h2643 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 am

andreepika123: you can make Peach and Toad ride Yoshi with LunaDLL, but Yoshi will run away when you will land on him.
Idk about Link.
h2643
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

PostPosted by andreepika123 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 pm

h2643 wrote:andreepika123: you can make Peach and Toad ride Yoshi with LunaDLL, but Yoshi will run away when you will land on him.
Idk about Link.

there's might be a possibly way to modify yoshi to make it not run away when as peach or toad landing on it.
Projects:
Untitled smbx project 1
Unititled smbx project 2

working on it
not in the works
done or demo available

I support.
andreepika123
Red Koopa
Red Koopa

Return to Software Information