TGCA REMAKE! (Guys, it's not dead! Here's a new screenshot!)

This forum is for any SMBX-related ideas or works in development, including and not limited to in-progress episodes.

TGCA REMAKE! (Guys, it's not dead! Here's a new screenshot!)

PostPosted by castlewars » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Before you question this for copyright and stealing off krazykoopa, he gave me permission to do this.

So yeah, got totally bored, and this idea flew into my head after I played through one of my favourite episodes, TGCA, again for the first time in 4 years (and nope, it's not deliberately supposed to be a Frozen reference!) and since I now have nothing to do at the moment, I have taken it into my hands to remake this classic episode. It is still going to remain true to the original TGCA and it's going to incorporate all the same levels from that, and the same plotline involving collecting stars but it will incorporate all the new elements that didn't exist back in 1.1.2, such as custom graphics, different player characters and modified NPCs using NPC codes. All the levels will retain their themes from the original episode but will be different to accommodate the new features. More stars and levels will be added as well, and some levels will be revamped completely, such as the hub.

Screenshots
SPOILER:

The pipe in Bowser's tower which is present when the player collects all the stars is still present, but when the player collects all the stars, they will unlock the original TGCA instead of a mere reward room. Each aspect of this version will remain exactly the same as the original, save from a few bug fixes in some of the levels. This is to allow older SMBX players who owned 1.1.2 to relive the nostalgia, and for newer players, it will serve as a post-game adventure as well.

Official trailer (by KoolKat)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2pLe-U38c[/youtube]

Also, be sure to check out the official IRC channel for the project: #tgcaremake, on StarNet!
Last edited by castlewars on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

THE GREAT CASTLE ADVENTURE (REMAKE!)

Give this link a click to go to my NEW YouTube channel! Subscribe if you want!

Using custom graphics doesn't mean your level becomes "good". It's about how you use them.

Join http://smbediting.prophpbb.com if you haven't done so!
castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

Current Project: The Great Castle Adventure REMAKE!

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (Pyramid of Fail confirmed returning!)

PostPosted by castlewars » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:58 am

OK, guys, I haven't got a new screenshot, but I've got some more info. First off, this isn't dead, but progress has been slowed because I've now learning how to make SMW hacks with Lunar Magic, so I have less time for SMBX, and college work is pushing against me. However, it's still going, and I've just started doing Lava Castle, so there's no need to panic. The good news is...

Pyramid of Fail from the original Invasion is returning!

I have slots for 3 more Nostalgia Classics levels from either the original Princess Cliche or Invasion 1. Throw me suggestions, peoples, and I may pick the best ones!
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

Using custom graphics doesn't mean your level becomes "good". It's about how you use them.

castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

PostPosted by Mystogan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:54 am

I love the lava levels. Cool to see something arise like this.
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin

Current Project: Super Metroid: ______

PostPosted by FanofSMBX » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:27 am

Survival of the Fastest and Spiny Farm
Jesus is my Savior

Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000:

http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
FanofSMBX
Blooper
Blooper

PostPosted by castlewars » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:28 am

Aysedaesi wrote:I love the lava levels. Cool to see something arise like this.

The original Pyramid of Fail didn't have lava - only the Invasion 2 version. The reason I'm bringing back the original is because it had unique gimmicks that have dropped out of popularity, such as the skilful use of the Thwomps.

castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (Talkin' Turnip CONFIRMED!!)

PostPosted by castlewars » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:05 am

OK, after a long hiatus of...I don't know - I finally have a new screenshot. A famous character from TGCA is confirmed to return. You know him, you love him, he's helped you in the earlier levels...please stand and give a round of applause to...

TALKIN' TURNIP!!!

Your old friend (if you played TGCA) Talkin' Turnip is coming back and he's lurking in the same levels as in the original. You don't believe me? Here's some screenshots to prove it:

When playing the level (you'll probably guess which level this is):

castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (New screen, MAJOR GAMEPLAY INFO!!)

PostPosted by castlewars » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:18 pm

~Major gameplay info, please read~

But first of all...you get your first taste of the dungeons. I've done screenshot-worthy work on that section of the castle, as demonstrated here:

OK, this is the major brunt of the info that must be brought unto y'all:

This episode's gameplay will be in the style of Tower of Biased. This is partly because the ToB series is one of the most famous hub episodes around, and the community can easily relate to it when they think of hub episodes, but it's also to prevent sequence-breaking. This was an issue in the original TGCA because you could actually explore the entire castle with as little as 8 stars, by getting 6 stars to access the basement, then fighting the boss of the basement with 8 stars to unlock the red switch. The problem is that this is very little compared to the 30 needed to reach Bowser, so here, a boss must be fought at the end of every section to collect red stars, which unlock doors to different sections of the castle. This includes the main floor and the balcony, where there were no bosses.

The Toads in the dungeons actually serve a purpose. In the original, they were just there for the player to visit and free from their cells, but here, the dungeon plays a more important role, because the player has to press a special switch to destroy all the cages at once. This is the only way to free the Toads trapped inside, and the resulting events will give the player a secret star.

The joke levels are getting scrapped completely. Rejoice, joke levels haters, I've decided myself there's no point keeping the joke levels! The secret joke level that I was blabbering on about earlier was actually going to be a Frozen-themed level with a Valtteri cover playing. Since Valtteri refused everyone to use the cover, plus the fact I couldn't get an Elsa NPC for the boss, I couldn't even start it. It was going to be called "The Kingdom of Isolation" and it actually had a plot behind it - Bowser had taken over Elsa's mind and the Koopa Troop had taken over Elsa's palace! No more hiding them in Twilight Town, they're gone forever!

I'll be posting more updates as the episode goes on. The bosses will be revealed later.

castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (Guys, it's not dead! Here's a new screensh

PostPosted by castlewars » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:00 pm

Guys. this definitely isn't dead!

Even though this topic has dropped a lot down the pile of old threads, I've been working on this non-stop. The result? I just finished another level - Bowser's tower. Here's a screenshot:

castlewars
Blooper
Blooper

Return to Projects & Works in Progress