Level Design Tips

Post your levels in progress here! Completed levels will get sorted out. Levels completed prior to posting can be placed immediately in the subforum pertaining to their gameplay.
This forum is also for general discussions about level design.

Level Design Tips

PostPosted by Kep » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:08 pm

This is the thread for level design tips. Staff, if you deem this thread unnecessary (which I don't know why you would), feel free to lock it.

1. Do not mix styles too much, or it could make your level look bad.
2. Stick with one theme. Don't go from a sky level to an underwater level.
3. Don't make your level too long or too short.

go

If you want a logo like what you see above this text for your project/signature, PM me!
Kep
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

Current Project: Super Mario and the Cavernous Structure

Re: Level Design Tips

PostPosted by Mystogan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:31 pm

I have some from my forum. Thanks to Valtteri and pivot40channel

1. If you're going to use custom graphics, make sure they look good and fit to the level.
2. Add enemies, pits, coins to make it a more fun experience and scenery and pipes and such to make it more lively.
3. Make sure everything fits together. Stick to one theme per section.
4. Make sure the level is completeable. Pay attention to the difficulty, too. Nobody likes too hard levels. It's no fun without a little challenge either.
5. Remember to give the player power-ups.
6. Don't forget the start point. If you move it in the middle for testing purposes, remember to move it back to the beginning.
7. Use a Checkpoint for longer levels.
8. Horizontal warp pipes don't go in the middle but half a block down from the middle of the pipe end.
9. The original Mario games are a great source of inspiration for both beginners and "veterans", not to mention other people's SMBX episodes.
10. Have fun making the level. That way the players will also enjoy the level.

too lazy to weed them out if any are repeating
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin

Current Project: Super Metroid: ______

PostPosted by SuperMario7 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:09 pm

I posted some level design tips for Krazykat's forum, so I'll post them here too:

Graphics/Music
-Start by choosing graphics and music for your level. This will give you an idea of what your level theme will be (ex: desert, forest, etc.).
-Custom graphics are always a good option, but not always necessary. Some levels will be just fine without them, but others will need them to create a unique or creative atmosphere.
-Try to avoid clashing graphics, or making combinations of unfitting graphics.
-Use music that sounds nice and fits the level. A unique track is always good as long as it fits.

Planning the Level
-Think of gimmicks for the level. A gimmick is a special obstacle that is unique to a level (or something that you wouldn't see in an ordinary level). These can be things such as moving blocks, special uses of hazards, or a specific power-ups/item that lets you through the level.
-Be original with your gimmicks. Try to do something that hasn't been done before.
-Combine different gimmicks.
-Think out the level structure in your head, or possibly draw it out. Do you want your level linear or expansive? Intricate or simple? How many sections?

Designing the Level
-Design your levels carefully. Make sure there is no overcrowding of obstacles, but also be sure that there are no boring parts to your levels without enough obstacles.
-Introduce your gimmick, then expand upon it. Make your gimmick start out simply, but then make it more complicated as the level progresses.
-Try to make natural block formations that also correspond to good gameplay. Avoid incredibly long flat stretches of land, as well as parts with too many slopes.
-Add background objects (BGOs). They are great for improving the look of your level. Don't overcrowd them, however, because that will make your level look messy.
-Add secret areas. Dragon coins, hidden stars, and hidden items are all good things that will make the player explore the level. Be careful about making too many extra areas, because that may confuse players and distract them from the main idea of the level.

Also I'm gonna sticky this topic.
--SuperMario7--

Super Mario Legends has been revived! Please check it out be clicking the banner below!

I support:

SuperMario7
Lantern Ghost
Lantern Ghost

Current Project: Super Mario Legends Part I

PostPosted by supermariofan234 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:35 pm

<B)> hi this place is good look'm doing a difficulty level that triggers all'm on how easy is a level of waterfalls well not you but need some advice could give me some ??? <cry>
Last edited by SuperMario7 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted double post.
I'm only one person, a person born with video games and came smbx and explode with joy.
supermariofan234
Buzzy Beetle
Buzzy Beetle

Current Project: the amazing adventures of mario

PostPosted by Kep » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:24 pm

supermariofan234 wrote:<B)> hi this place is good look'm doing a difficulty level that triggers all'm on how easy is a level of waterfalls well not you but need some advice could give me some ??? <cry>

what?

If you want a logo like what you see above this text for your project/signature, PM me!
Kep
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

Current Project: Super Mario and the Cavernous Structure

Return to Levels & Level Design