What are you watching/reading?

General discussion about the latest movies and television shows, or some of your favorite classics.

Re: What are you watching/reading?

PostPosted by Kyo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Natsu wrote:Finished watching Haikyuu!!, and it was really enjoyable.

The following paragraph contains spoilers from Haikyuu!!. Reader discretion adviesed: I almost cried in the end, it had a great scene of ire from the team losing to Aoba Josai. On itself, the series did not appeal much to me, simply because I judged it by its cover, and saying stuff like "there's no way volleyball would be described as a great sport to make an anime of", and god that did not help. But in the end, I did enjoy it. Shoyo's playstyle made him stand out more than almost every other teammate, which I think it's a good way to focus on the protagonist, it's such a good way to mark a difference between the rest. I'm not implying that the other characters aren't that nicely developed, but I believe Shoyo is the one I truly like. In the end, Haikyuu!! made it to 9.0 on my MAL. Definitely do not regret to start watching it.

Also, I have started watching Zankyou no Terror. I'm actually watching episode 5 right now, and it really IS good. I can't believe I've let slip such a masterpiece. It's a shame it only has 12 episodes though, but what can you do about it. I'll make sure to enjoy the entire series.

Haikyuu!! rocks. The more time passes and the more you think about it, you realize how good and memorable Haikyuu!! actually is. It's just so well done it's just, wow man. It's especially good because the protagonists are actually cool. Protagonists like Tanaka and such are just unique, and that's what gives it a special feeling and makes it just cool. Second season announced by the way.

Oh, is Zankyou no Terror that good? I thought the only 2014 anime that could mess with the likes of Kiseijuu would be KimiUso, or maybe Mushishi but eh, not with Kiseijuu. Especially because Kiseijuu is getting so good around episode 18-22 that it's just insane.
Kyo
Wiggler
Wiggler

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:14 pm

Yeah, it's really good from start to end, I can assure you that because I finished it and gave it a score of 10. I think it's precisely because it's so short that the story is so well told and that you don't feel anything out of place. I'd suggest you to check it out, like now, it's definitely worth your time, and I don't think it'd take that much time for you to finish watching it, only 11 episodes after all. My bad, added a non-existing episode number to my past post. =P
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.

PostPosted by Hello » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:26 pm

I gave up on TV after The Internet was confirmed better
I gave up on Anime after Gurren Lagann set a personal bar for me (Although I'm still hoping for Season 2 of Watamote)
Hello
Tweeter
Tweeter

Current Project: Chicken Adventure RPG

PostPosted by Sezixor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Hello wrote:I gave up on TV after The Internet was confirmed better
I gave up on Anime after Gurren Lagann set a personal bar for me (Although I'm still hoping for Season 2 of Watamote)

Have you watched anything else? Because I can assure you that there are many other gems out there that you might find to be great. Although I know where you're coming from of the fact that you feel that there is absolutely no series in existence that could top your favorite one. That's how I felt when I finished Clannad, and while I've never found anything that I liked even close to as much as I've liked it, I have still found other ones that are still great.

Anyway, I finished the first 93 episodes of One Piece and so far it hasn't let me down. I will admit though, that it houses some of the most annoying villians that I've seen in anime. Seriously, some of them literally made me want to rip my hair out. Besides that though, I am really enjoying it.
Sezixor
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

Current Project: Super Mario First Class

PostPosted by Kyo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:26 pm

The villains in One Piece are just dumb most of the times. They just want to play the evil wolf, but that's it. With the exception of Arlong, that one was one hell of a great villain, though I don't get what he needed money for other than to bribe the Marine. Eneru (you'll see him soon) was also nice, but he was 50% trying to be evil and 50% downright crazy. So yeah, Arlong is still the best antagonist. But I've heard Doflamingo (from the most recent Manga arc) is a great antagonist too, but I'm not that far yet.
Kyo
Wiggler
Wiggler

PostPosted by Natsu » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:26 pm

I think Gecko Moria was a great antagonist IMO. He was defeated by Kaidou when he and his old crew entered the New World, and I personally think he had a great grudge on him for that matter. I still don't see why you think Doflamingo is that good, not much has been shown in the anime yet, and I do not plan to read the manga, but I guess time will tell.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu

PostPosted by 8bitmushroom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 pm

Sezixor wrote:Anyway, I finished the first 93 episodes of One Piece and so far it hasn't let me down. I will admit though, that it houses some of the most annoying villians that I've seen in anime. Seriously, some of them literally made me want to rip my hair out. Besides that though, I am really enjoying it.

I haven't even got past the first 17 episodes, the problem with most anime (at least that I have seen so far, which I can make a list if you so choose) in my opinion is that the episodes drag on at times, while there are times where the story definitely picks up, some episodes of One Piece seemed to drag on a bit. It's a great anime though, so don't get me wrong.
SPOILER:
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
"you want a dickpic" ― Joey
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke
"Sleep is for the weak." ― Actually, I said that, why am I quoting it
8bitmushroom
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Current Project: Journey to Starland

PostPosted by Kyo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 am

One Piece has an abnormally slow pacing, so it's not just you. You should probably try out something else than a long-running shounen, because those tend to drag on as you said, that's completely normal.
Kyo
Wiggler
Wiggler

PostPosted by Mystogan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 am

Actually Gurren Lagann is one of the ones I wanted to watch, and I hear it was actually pretty good. I'm still behind on Fairy Tail though.
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin

Current Project: Super Metroid: ______

PostPosted by Sezixor » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:19 pm

I actually enjoy anime that drag out longer, since episodes usually affect each other and that makes it entertaining to watch because you want to know what happens next. Things that don't have that more often than not bore me to death. Luckily though, from what I've watched of One Piece so far, it has had lots of action and great characters, hence making up for the fact that it sometimes drags. In my opinion the only real point in the series that I felt like it dragged was around eposodes 70-80 when they were dealing with those two giants on that island and had to battle that guy who could control the wax.
Sezixor
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

Current Project: Super Mario First Class

PreviousNext

Return to Television and Movies