Changes to the Forum

Come here for all updates involving the forum.
Click here for the forum rules.

Changes to the Forum

PostPosted by Magician » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:10 am

Hello everyone, and welcome back to NSMBX. Thank you for waiting.

You will notice that the board index has been changed significantly, and that a lot of previous posts may appear missing. What we've done is move all of the old posts, and their parent forums and categories, into the Forum Archive that you'll see at the bottom of the index.

We have opted, for the time being, not to sort levels based on terms of superiority but in terms of the type of gameplay you will expect when playing them. We are doing this to encourage gameplay diversity rather than simply graphical or atmospheric diversity, and as a means to create a resource-based site that will meet needs differently than what other SMBX forums have done. While you may go to SMBX.org to view levels based on overall ratings, you may come here to expect to pick and choose levels based on your own content preferences. It is our expectation that people will come here to to have their levels stand out not for following a conventional checklist of expectations, but for filling voids in unexplored or underutilized gameplay tropes that could be offered by SMBX. How this is fulfilled is that people may discover that certain gameplay types posted by users are well-saturated; here, people may opt to have their level viewable in a forum with fewer posts, so that it stands out more effectively. To do this they must structure the gameplay to that forum's standards, but as a result, users will be encouraged to submit levels not based on what is manufacturable to get a good score, but rather what users want to make and could make without the pressure of conformity, and our forum will have the benefit of a sizeable and visible palette of levels.
I'd like to add that while we intend to be conservative about adding more subforums (we don't want our forums to become too cluttered), we openly encourage people to send us levels that would have difficulty fitting with even our conventional formats. Even if it is more challenging to keep these levels sorted, these levels will still be a benefit to the community and to the medium as a whole.

We have done similarly for organizing the graphics in SMBX. We hope that it will be easier than ever for people to find the kind of graphics they are looking for.

Our social section has two main forums for posting in. Abundances of certain topics of conversation within those forums will be considered for placement in new subforums. It will depend entirely on what kind of topics will be popular in the community—it's all up to you.

Finally, I want you all to remember that keeping these forums peaceful and clean will be a community effort from all of us. While we will have staff to ensure things will stay this way, and will be considering having more on board, we are not perfect. Please also do your part and report posts that violate community standards. This is a place of peaceful expression, not conflict. Report (or at least ignore posts) that fuel these conflicts, but do not respond or contribute to them.
Also remember that we are not here to compete with, divide, or challenge other forums that serve similar purposes. Our aim is for people to come here for different reasons than they do for other sites, so as not to draw anyone away from one site or another. As such, this is not a haven for people to bash other forum administrations or fuel inter-forum conflicts. If you wish to express yourself regarding this, do so amicably, and respect the fact that your opinion of how a forum conducts their business may differ from others', and that your opinion might not ultimately change someone else's, and that this is not an inherently bad thing.

Thanks for reading.

(Also keep in mind, there have been some changes made to the rules.)
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Changes to the Forum

PostPosted by Christian07 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:21 am

Finally it's reopen, I waited so much. Changes also seem to be good.
Christian07
Spike
Spike

Current Project: The Star of Subcon

PostPosted by h2643 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:30 am

Nice to see the forum is re-opened, I guess. Hope it will gain more popularity than before!
h2643
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

PostPosted by Mystogan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:35 am

I was never a member of the NSMBX era. But I would've loved to been aware around 2011 or so, I would've joined then. Cool to see a place reopened though, and hopefully the changes will be for the better.
Mystogan
Dolphin
Dolphin

Current Project: Super Metroid: ______

PostPosted by Pseudo-dino » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:31 am

Hey, everyone! Good to have you back here at NSMBX!
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
I think Frozen is a pretty cool guy. Eh mkaes ice and doesnt afraid of anything.
Redigit is cool.
I believe in Princess Luna as my Lady and Savior. If you do as well, put this in your signature.
Pseudo-dino
Blooper
Blooper

PostPosted by Kyo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 am

Good to see NSMBX is finally back! And the wait was worth it, you've done quite a lot of stuff, not only archiving and unlocking this forum. Some things I'd like to point out:

-The new staff team is great. No complaint on anyone of those. I'm sure they'll do a great job.
-I like how you marked the most important parts in the Forum rule thread. Now people will actually read it- I think.
-Not sure what to think about the 'Social' section. Gaming and everything else, I think you can do better than that. It's not difficult to anticipate the 'Other Business' section will be extremely chaotic that can't even be overviewed. You said you are going to add more subforums. I'd say, a subforum for TV stuff (with a sub-subforum for Anime, pls Magician give us our Anime subforum >.>) would definitely help. In 'Other Business', you could also add sub-subforums such as an Art subforum. TV and Games could get their own forums because they are the most common topic to talk about.
-The way the level and graphics subforum are handled in this forum is certainly different, but interesting. It works pretty good in the graphics forum, though you'd need a pack sub-subforum, because there is no place for packs to post right now. It doesn't work too well with the level subforum, though. It's sometimes quite difficult to decide where a level that you want to post belongs to. It's usually a bad sign if you have to think about where to post something. Maybe a sub-subforum for levels which you aren't sure where they belong to would help? Topics that go there would be moved to their appropriate sub-subforum by mods or admins, then.
-I love the ID topics; they are really helpful. Good job.
Kyo
Wiggler
Wiggler

PostPosted by XerX » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Someone else suggested that there be more added to the social forums. I think I'm gonna go ahead and add some of those forums.
XerX
Dino Rhino
Dino Rhino

PostPosted by Sezixor » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:59 pm

It's great to see that the forum has been re-opened. Everything looks great as far as I can tell. Great job. It's good to be back.
Sezixor
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

Current Project: Super Mario First Class

PostPosted by krazykat » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Yes, it's back!!
Anyway, now that its this way, I'm going to be super active here.
krazykat
Super Koopa
Super Koopa

PostPosted by Magna » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Great idea I guess. Nice remodeling Magician.
Magna
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

Next

Return to Announcements