Changes to the Forum

Come here for all updates involving the forum.
Click here for the forum rules.

Re: Changes to the Forum

PostPosted by Dark Mecha » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:04 am

Thing that I would like see here:

- Other colors for the users: The Red color for the admins and the Green for the global admins isn't bad, but the color of the level designers and the normal users are similars, I suggest that the colors change a bit, example, the color of the normal members are black and the level designers are purple or another colors. (or whatever)

- IMO the most part of the sections in "levels" (Athletic, Sky, etc) aren't very importants and are a little confused, Why not remove some sections?

- Where are the level judges here?

- Major organization in the topics, they are a bit "mixed" and confused, example "Projects and work in progress", Why don't create these sections per separate?

- General topics: I'm not sure If this forum already have this, but I think that this would be a good adition, and can help to organizate a bit the topics.

That's all, and I'm very happy that this forum back! :)
- R E T I R E D -
Dark Mecha
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

Current Project: The Power Of Stars!

PostPosted by Magician » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:24 am

Thanks for the feedback. Here are my thoughts:

I don't think these two colours are too similar. There's a very distinct contrast.

The level subforums are experimental and may be subject to change. This is something I was actually hoping I'd receive more feedback on. Which ones are confusing to you? Which ones do you think should be removed and why?

In my eyes, Projects and Works in Progress are the exact same thing by definition. Some users saw differently because the word "Projects" in community-speak implies episodes in progress, so I added "Works in Progress" to the name just for clarity.

Also, I didn't want a forum JUST for submitting pre-sorted levels and to host subforums, so the parent forum is also about level design, as the parent forum for the graphics posts is also about graphics design. Also consider that when there's more content to be organized, there may then be more forums to organize them. Right now a forum with only one page index of threads doesn't exactly make for anything being hard to find, so there's no reason to split it.

For the time being, there are no level judges here.

I felt that a general forum would be superfluous; you could put "general" next to pretty much any of the sections and their names would still mean the same thing. We have a general level design forum, a general graphics design forum, a general completed episodes forum, a general projects forum, and a general software information forum. I would need to see examples of SMBX-related things that don't fit into those categories before I consider adding another forum.
Magician
Lakitu
Lakitu

PostPosted by krazykat » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:51 am

I think the Level Designer color really just doesn't fit somehow.
krazykat
Super Koopa
Super Koopa

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:00 am

What colour do you think it would fit?
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu
Amazing Flying Hammer Bro.

PostPosted by Bryan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:09 am

Do the colors really matter that much? I think they're just fine the way they are.
Bryan
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

PostPosted by Kyo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:44 am

The Level Designer color is perfect. It's similar to the regular user color, yet still easily distinguishable. There is not a big difference between a regular Registered User and a Level Designer, so it's cool that the colors aren't too different as well.
Kyo
Wiggler
Wiggler

PostPosted by Kep » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Magician wrote:I would need to see examples of SMBX-related things that don't fit into those categories before I consider adding another forum.

All right, a few things:
-Favorite/Least Favorite Playable Character in SMBX
-What SMBX intro do you use?
-How you got into SMBX.
-Any type of music-related SMBX threads (SMBX music suggestion thread, favorite music to use in SMBX, etc.)

If you want a logo like what you see above this text for your project/signature, PM me!
Kep
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

Current Project: Super Mario and the Cavernous Structure

PostPosted by Spinda » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Imo I don't feel like splitting the levels subforum into styles is a good idea since you can prettt micj see on first glance what theme the level has just by looking at the screenshots, which is why I think it's kinda useless. If I wanna play a sky level, I look for "Sky" or "Athletic" in the name and that's it, I don't need an extra subforum just for that. This is why I'd prefer splitting it into ratimg categories or not at all, or maybe something else entirely. Just my opinion though.
Spinda
Boo Guy
Boo Guy

Current Project: SMB1X

PostPosted by Dark Mecha » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Thank you for answering all my ideas, definitely you perfectly clear my views, at least most of them.

Magician wrote:This is something I was actually hoping I'd receive more feedback on. Which ones are confusing to you? Which ones do you think should be removed and why?

Actually I think that most people who want to play a level, depending on the level quality play, not his subject, Why not organize them according to the quality of levels? sometimes it's a little uncomfortable, if you want to play a good level you must search on the many sub-topics that exits (Athletic, Ticky, Sky, etc) and echo on the screen, plus really do not think that everyone has a specific idea about the level that want play, it would be better than this categorize in another more common topics (Grasslands, desert, etc) or remove them.

EDIT: Oh, I think that this forum need a section of battle levels, I would like start with my "collection" like Mr.game.and.watch did.
- R E T I R E D -
Dark Mecha
Blue Paratroopa
Blue Paratroopa

Current Project: The Power Of Stars!

PostPosted by Natsu » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Battle levels are sorted in the Miscellaneous section. There is no need for another section.
Deleting a post doesn't delete an action,
if you did something wrong it shall remain as something you did wrong.
This also applies to sheets of paper, if you wrinkle them,
they won’t go back to it’s previous state no matter what you do.
While that is reality, you can compensate it being better,
not everything is lost, nothing is lost to begin with.
Do everything you can to become a better user, it’s not too late!
Natsu

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements